No one likes to be stuck in a funk. Whether it is lasting the day, or several, all you want to do is be back to yourself. Unfortunately, we get this way sometimes and we either let it rule us or take our day back. I believe that when anyone gets stuck in a funk it is the body and mind trying to tell us we need to take better care of ourselves. So here are some tricks I use to get out of my “funk” and get back to me.
- Workout – Even if it’s something small like jumping jacks, working out releases endorphins in your body that make you feel better. And if all else fails, you did something productive today to better yourself in the future and sometimes that realization is all you need.
- Plan ahead – Whether it be something small, like the rest of the week, or something large, like a new vacation, planning can always leave you hopeful, happy and looking forward to the future.
- Call an old friend and catch up – Getting to focus on someone else and remain engaged is a great way to get your mind off of your funk. They might even tell you good news that will brighten your day. Maybe tell them about your next vacation!
- Try a new look – We all know retail therapy is a thing but why not take it one step farther. Try on things that you wouldn’t normally try on, step out of your safe-zone. You may find a new style or get new ideas for someone else.
- Catch up on an old show – One of my favorite things to do when I want to tune out and boost my mood is watch the tv show “Friends.” I have already seen it a million times so if I zone out and come back I know exactly what I missed.
- Relax with aromatherapy – If you are a frequent reader of the blog you know already how I feel about my aromatherapy! Try lighting some scented candles, dimming the lights, putting on some calming music and taking a bath. Just take deep breaths and really relax.
- Pamper yourself – If the bath doesn’t help try dolling yourself up. When you look good you feel good. Do it for you, you don’t need to have plans that night (although after seeing how great you look you may feel the need to make some). Do your nails, soak your feet, and treat your skin to a well deserved mask. If you want to know how I pamper myself just check out my at home spa day routine here.
- When all else fails…. Chocolate!